St. Mary's Parish
1848-2018



When the Town of Belgium was founded in 1848, Luxembourg,
Belgic-Luxembourg and German immigrants of the area established
​St. Mary's Parish. A frame church was first built and, in 1868, it was replaced with the first stone church constructed in Luxembourgish architectural style.


After a fire destroyed the first stone church in 1884, another stone church was constructed in 1884-1885, which still stands today. It was at that time the Bells of St. Mary's were added to the belfry- the small and medium bells in 1885 and the large bell in 1887. The bells pealed and tolled for 100 years. In 1888, a parish school was built and a bell was placed atop the school building. St. Mary's Parish served the Belgium, Wisconsin community until a merger of local parishes in 2012. St. Mary's Church was officially closed for public worship in August of 2018.